Wednesday, September 13

Preaching in the Emerging Culture

I'm preparing my first sermon as Assistant Pastor at BCC at the moment. I'm enjoying my preparation so far - been swimming in the text through some Lectio Divina and using the online labyrinth to guide my meditation. Highly recommend both.

There's a sticking point though. I grew up with a style of preaching (which was excellently done Dad!) very much rooted in the logical reasoning, linear thought and rhetorical style of the modern world, and profoundly influenced by the church structures that accompanied it (or did the preaching shape the church? - more on that in a sec), for example a centralised message (the pastor does all the talking while the rest of us sit and listen).

Now that my world has changed, and I see the church very differently, how am I to preach?

This is the question bouncing in my head as I prepare for next Sunday. Gibbs and Bolger, in Emerging Churches, describe the contextual mandate excellently:

"The church continues to communicate a verbal, linear, and abstract message [I would add 'centralised' - JD] to a culture whose primary language consists of sound, visual images, and experience, in addition to words. Meaningful activity assumes the convergence of sound, sight, and touch through activities, rituals, and stories. Current patterns and styles of preaching communicate with diminishing impact. Pastors must understand the comprehensive nature of language to be heard by the culture." (p. 20)

I just read Doug Pagitt's excellent book Preaching Re-Imagined, which is a great start at asking the tough questions about our cherished preaching style (which he calls "speaching"). Certainly, the question of cultural relevance is at the heart of the book. But a more central issue being the kind of communities formed by such a style. Briefly, he argues that preaching is "a socializing force and a formative practise in a community" (p. 25) and that a centralised, controlling preaching style produces communities of people who are disempowered and consumerist. The Biblical notion of the "priesthood of all believers" (1 Pet 2:9) is not put into practise in our preaching (the Reformers tried to get this important truth back into the church, but 500 years on we're still not there).

[I would add our worship into this same equation - just look at how we sit in rows like an audience, singing along but generally being consumers of worship experiences rather than worshippers.]

Pagitt provocatively calls this kind of one-way speech-preaching "an act of relational violence" (p. 26) He's not advocating an end to preaching in emerging churches, and nor am I. But how should we preach?

6 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

update on this - what about doing guided Lectio Divina with the whole congregation before the sermon 'starts'. Meditative and repeated reading of the text could be followed by a brief time of feedback, where members of the congregation share the words, phrases and thoughts that stuck out for them. Then, when I come to do the sermon I could incorporate those thoughts into what I have prepared to say. It means being well-versed enough in the text to be able to improvise, of course, which is a greater challenge than pure monologue...

9/14/2006 03:02:00 pm  
Blogger lynn said...

Wow....all credit to you for being able to do that.
Makes me think of the stand-up comedian who asked the audience how their week's been and then builds a routine up around it (I've been a regular visitor to The Stand!)

Best wishes for Sunday!

9/16/2006 08:59:00 pm  
Blogger Johnny said...

ehh ... so what did you do?

9/19/2006 11:45:00 pm  
Blogger lynn said...

"Meditative and repeated reading of the text could be followed by a brief time of feedback, where members of the congregation share the words, phrases and thoughts that stuck out for them. Then, when I come to do the sermon I could incorporate those thoughts into what I have prepared to say."

that's what he said he could do :-)

9/19/2006 11:47:00 pm  
Blogger Brodie said...

I guess you've got to start were your congregation is. So for most of us to contextualise our message a form of sermon works (hmm or do I mean is acceptable), as this is both what is expected and also because most will still be working with a predominantly "modern" world view.
If we want to transition to dialogue or conversation then we'll need to teach our churches how to do this.

10/05/2006 05:02:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can suggest molten meditation!

12/14/2006 08:32:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home