Wednesday, September 13

Emergent Logo Conspiracy?

image unavailableThe "friend of emergent" logo appears to have disappeared from the internet. It's not on my blog anymore (it used to be on my sidebar) and the html code for it has strangely wiped itself off my template. Seriously. Where once there was a whole line of code there is now just half a line and a gap. Weird.

Also, It's not on the emergent site any more. And I can't find any anywhere else, including the blogs of Emergent and Brian McLaren.

see for yourself: here and here.

Is this sabotage by anti-Emergent types? Possibly.

Or is it a clever trick by the people at Emergent themselves? Is it some kind of time-released theological computer virus deconstructing our desire to label everything and turn a generative fluid conversation into a branded 'movement'?

Personally, I like the fact that it's disappeared. I think the "image unavailable" cross-in-a-box thing that is generated by internet explorer is the most powerful 'logo' the emerging church conversation could have. It says "we don't have a logo", "we are not a brand", "image unavailable".

I am a friend of emergent, but I'm quite pleased my "Friend of Emergent" logo has been deconstructed.

3 Comments:

Blogger boxthejack said...

Perhaps we should start a 'define Emergent' competition. Mine would be:

People with funny beards discovering for Evanglicalism what everyone else knew all along.

Any advance?

9/28/2006 11:50:00 am  
Blogger Jamie said...

He he. I think I qualify on all counts (but so do you mate!).

10/02/2006 01:53:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie,

I added the 'friend of emergent' logo to my site as an image and added a hyper link. I do know what u mean cos i tried to download the podcast but it didnt work. i emailed them but no response!

12/14/2006 08:29:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home