Friday, June 16

Top three questions

I hope you'll forgive my silence again (incidentally, on the question of silence, you should read Shusaku Endo's book - it'll redefine Christianity!). Since I last posted on SFT I have a new job and a new house. Before I leave to start my new job as youth pastor at Bishopbriggs Community Church in Glasgow, I have a couple of commitmnets in Edinburgh.

One major one is that I am due to give three short evangelistic talks at my church's festival cafe-style outreach. I am trying to figure out what to talk about. The last thing I want to do is just talk about things that concern me but miss what people are really concerned about, and show them how the gospel transforms lives in that area. So I'm asking for ideas. What are the top three subjects I should address? What are the top three burning questions of people today? Is it the environment? Individualism? Global terror?

Answers on a postcard...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off the top of my slightly fried head I have a few questions.
For starters
Why do I need Christianity to be personally fulfilled and even reach God?
For a refreshing sorbet
How are Christians any different from other good people?
And for the meaty main course
Why does God allow suffering?

For desert you can have a question of your choice and must finish up with a stiff drink or at least a stupidly strong espresso.

(Or you could tell them they are sinners, Jesus died for them so they can go to heaven)
Happy studying a few prayers

Pete

6/16/2006 03:03:00 pm  
Blogger boxthejack said...

How about:

Jesus (part one)
The personal friend

Jesus (part two)
The political leader

Jesus (part three)
God?

6/17/2006 05:52:00 pm  
Blogger Johnny said...

I like the last two comments, but just so you got more flavours for your blend, what about ...
"We know Big Brother is trashy, why is it so compelling?"
(The tension between fallen humanity taking delight in broken community and the uneasiness that delight brings, what might true community look like)

"If Brazil win again, and they start praying again, what's going on with that?" (Whose side is God on? Or is something wrong with the question?)

"Most wars and suffering are caused by religious folk trying to force us to do things their way. Why not outlaw religion?" (no suggestions!)

6/19/2006 09:06:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home